12/27/08

Review On Reviewing

At the library today, I found a book. A HOW TO book, one in a series. How to be a film critic. Perfect! Not only would I learn how to analyze a film, I would learn the entire history of movies in one fell swoop; a little more than 100 pages.

But as I walked to the checkout, it became pure lead, in my arms and my head. I could not stop thinking about the repercussions of it. The repercussions of a goddamned HOW TO book. I was afraid that after reading it, I would compare myself, I'd fall into a pattern of looking at media through this book. I have a tendency to follow other people's patterns when I'm on shaky ground, and that's not what I want. When I feel secure in my opinion, I'll take ideas, things I like and things I don't and apply them to me, and that's how I'll go about interpreting what I see. That will always be changing. Countless times have I thought that my way was the most concrete, best, most perfect way, only to have that perception ruined.

It's hard to argue with words on a paper. No one is going to respond, it's perception won't be challenged by anyone but me, and I don't feel I can do that until I understand my view of criticizing.

Ha! So far this blog has had an intro post and a short little tribute and already my honeymoon period is coming to an end.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home